The North Garden is one of the oldest parts of the park. After the old corps de logis was built in 1704–1709 and the galleries and pavilions in 1712–15 under Duke Eberhard Ludwig, the steeply sloping land was formed into baroque-style terraces.
Duke Carl Eugen reduced the size of the terraces, had part of the valley area filled in in 1749 and added a circular area, avenues and lawns.
Around 1800, Duke Friedrich II refashioned the garden again, creating grassy terraces with ramps, which were generously adorned with pot plants, a square lawn and an avenue of plane trees on the axis between the old corps de logis and the palace Schloss Favorite.
Today, the North Garden can be seen as it was during Friedrich's reign. The only new touch is the baroque-style broderie parterre around a small lake with a central fountain, which was created by garden director Albert Schöchle in 1961 on a levelled-out plane.