Around 1800, Duke Friedrich II commissioned the construction of a keeper's house or gardener's cottage near the Posilippo Tunnel, as part of the bird menagerie which was located to the south of it. The menagerie included rare Egyptian geese, which Napoleon brought back from a campaign. It also housed pheasants, ducks, hens, other geese and swans, as well as birds of prey and a dovecote.
The house originally had a thatched roof. Now, the solid two-storey building has a tiled hipped roof with bark-clad eaves. The unplastered outside walls are made from roughly hewn natural or quarry stone, giving it a ruin-like character.
The building is not open to the public.